As a long time sufferer of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), I can definitely sympathize with anyone who also suffers from GERD. Symptoms, which include heartburn, regurgitation, burping, nausea after eating, feeling of fullness or bloating, and/or upper abdominal discomfort, can be exacerbated by many lifestyle choices such as drinking alcohol.
So here are some tips for managing the symptoms of GERD:
- Avoid lying flat or bending over after eating.
- Avoid eating right before you go to bed.
- Eat slowly.
- Do not eat large meals.
- Avoid foods that are rich, spicy, fatty or fried.
- Avoid chocolate, caffeine, alcohol, citrus fruits, garlic, onions, tomatoes, and peppermint.
- If you are overweight, lose weight.
- If you smoke, quite smoking.
- Do not wear clothes that are tight around your stomach.