Key recommendations include:
- Eat a balanced diet that includes high-fiber foods, such as fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, and nuts as well as fish (especially oily fish such as salmon and mackerel).
- Reduce consumption of empty calorie foods and beverages such as candy and soda.
- Choose fat-free or low-fat dairy products.
- Limit foods high in saturated fats and cholesterol.
- Avoid trans fat.
- Restrict salt intake. Less than 2,300 mg is recommended for those without any health concerns.
- Drink Alcohol in moderation which is 1 drink/day for women and 2 drinks/day for men.
- Exercise regularly to maintain a healthy weight.