The best way to prevent the flu is to get the flu vaccine each year. Good health habits are important too and include:
- Avoid contact with those who are sick, and keep your distance from others when you are feeling ill.
- Stay home from work or school when you are sick, and avoid running errands.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing.
- Hand washing will help protect you from germs. If soap and water are not available, an alcohol-based hand sanitizer can be substituted.
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, and nose. Germs can be transferred when a person touches something that is contaminated and then touches their eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Practice good health habits by getting an adequate amount of sleep and exercise, as well as managing your stress. Also, drink plenty of water, and eat nutritionally dense foods.
Centers for Disease Control